MiP robot is the winner of the TOTY 2015 Innovative Toy of the Year. The 6.8″ L x 5″ W x 10.5″ H little robot perches atop unique dual wheels and is the first self-balancing robot. MiP is equipped with GestureSense™ technology and can be controlled by any hand motion. In addition to 7 built-in play modes, the free MiP App on an iOS or Android smart device will unleash lots more functions. The new addition, Minion MiP Turbo Dave robot, will win the hearts of younger kids and Minion fans.
MiP Robot Features Overview
- With his unique dual wheel balancing system, MiP robot navigates his surroundings
- MiP robot can be programmed with hand gestures and can even follow objects around
- MiP can be controlled with an iOS/Android device with the free MiP App for more complex navigation, taking on other MiP’s in battle, dancing to a music library and more.
- MiP’s inquisitive and responsive personality is communicated through motion, sounds, and RGB LED eyes
- MiP can balance multiple objects while moving or standing still
- Multiple robotic modes including dance, battle, boxing, path, stack, cans and drive
- Recommended age: 8+.
MiP stands for Mobile Inverted Pendulum. It is a product of a collaboration between WowWee and the Coordinated Robotics Lab at the University of California, San Diego.
There are a lot of dancing, spinning robots on the market. MiP robot may still be a standout and impress you. The little guy balances on two wheels, dances to music, carries drinks, and races around stunt tracks. Built like a Segway with arms and eyes, MiP has a gyroscopic balancing system and can be programmed with hand gestures, or controlled with an iOS/Android device for more complex navigation. MiP’s quirky personality and cuteness has won many users’ hearts. Show some praise, and MiP robot will be your new best friend, but push it down, and you’re in for an angry robot! On the other hand, its nonsensical mumblings belong to no language and yet is easily understood by kids. Kids have said MiP would be good to help combat loneliness. Sure enough, it is a worthy companion in the morning as waiting for the school bus to arrive. One thing that would be a big improvement would be if there were more programmable options.
To make the most out of the new robot friend, download the free app for iOS/Android devices for the following features:
- Drive – Drive MiP robot around with either single or dual joystick control.
- Record – Create funny videos of MiP having fun to share with friends.
- Path – Draw a path for MiP to follow.
- Cans – Feed MiP robot different Canisters and see how it’s mood changes and does quirky routines.
- Dance – Play your favorite song from iTunes and have MiP dance away to it.
- Battle: Last MiP robot standing – Chanllenge other MiPs head to head and see who is the last MiP standing.
- Boxing – Box against other MiPs.
- Stack – Chanllenge your friends to see who can stack the most things on MiP’s tray and score the highest score!
MiP uses 4 aaa batteries which provide about 4-6 hours of moderate usage and up to 1-2 days with very low usage. The rechargeable version of MiP is now available exclusively from Amazon.
What do the customers say about MiP robot?
This was a birthday present for an 11 yr old girl. She loves it! Had a sleepover and they were up half the night teaching him tricks. He seems to be quite the hit! — Carol
We bought two of these and our two boys just love it! The MiP robot is not one of those toys you get tired of after playing for 15 minutes. They come home each day looking for cool new things to do with their MiPs. We use an iPhone 5 and 5s to control the robots and this weekend we discovered robo boxing! The MiP even has a really cool personality and dare I say it has it’s own personality!!! —El
MiP Balancing Robot Product Line Options
Mip originally comes in white and black versions. Coder MiP is a new programmable version which is transparent. There are more deluxe pack and fancy colors if you prefer more than the regular pack.
Mini MiP is in a pint-sized package, featuring a remote control and glowing LEDs. You can drive him in a straight line or spin him around. He is the perfectly sized to take with you anywhere.
The MiP Mini Build-Up Edition is less than half of the regular MiP’s price. The kit features snap fit parts and screws and provides young DIY builders with a fun, hands-on approach to learning about robotics. Once the mini MiP is built, you can use the included remote control to drive him forward or spin it around.
Click any MiP Robot below to check its price and customer reviews.
Introducing Minion MiP
For younger kids (4+) and Minion fans, MiP’s manufacture WowWee brings people’s favorite Minion Dave into the MiP Robot line. Meet Turbo Dave: your own personal Minion! Turbo Dave responds to hand gestures, shakes, pokes, bops, claps and can even navigate your room. The little guy can make over 140+ original “Despicable Me” sounds and phrases. Download the Turbo Dave App, which features 6 additional games: Fart Blaster battles, STEM coding and more. You can then use your smart device to control your own Minion remotely, plan paths for him to self-navigate, or even have your Minion interact with other characters or props from Despicable Me. You can also tinker with your Minion’s emotions using digital mood chips. For young kids, educational features are bonus besides having fun. Minion MiP is included a coding platform for high-tech programming fun.
The travel-sized edition, Mini Minion MiP, stands less than 5” tall. Kids will have fun with him on the road.
Similar products from the same manufacture:
- Chipper is a funny blue robotic toy dog, who is eager to play and make you laugh.
- Pet Chipper's head for different reactions including sniffs, barks, puppy kisses, and even a sneeze!
- Use the matching remote control to make Chipper dance, sing, chase its tail, or tell it which way to roll.
- Chippies can explore your room, or guard it from intruders using their sensors.
- Chippies will sing together as a pack and can also interact with CHiP